Thursday, July 16, 2009

Curling Up

I keep getting sidetracked by the daily news. I wonder if I will ever get to the storytelling part.

 

I had made it the whole day so far without crying. But early afternoon held some news for me. The vet called and said Barney was back and that I could come to take him home.

 

I had been having difficulty with my last images of him laying helpless and unable to move. And then came the shot that helped him transition to the other side. His eyes lay open and his tongue hung out of his mouth. It was all over in less than 30 seconds. The vet and her assistant left me to be alone with him one last time.

 

His little arms reached out straight as if he was trying to keep holding on. His body was full length too. I bent down and kissed him and told him I loved him. I closed his eyes and tucked his tongue into his mouth. I then curled him into that familiar position that cats have when they are all curled up and sleeping peacefully. I put careful detail into tucking his tail all around and under his chin where it would lay when he was fully asleep.

 

I stepped back and was satisfied that he looked at rest now. One last kiss and caress and I was about to crumble, so I turned and picked up my purse and left the room. It was unbearable to think I would never see him run again, or play, or sit watching me as I sat on the toilet. I just wanted to run as far away as I could, as fast as I could. But the old bones don't move so fast any more.

 

So thinking about all that made it very nerve-wracking to believe I could enter that building again without falling apart. And yet I felt this excitement inside. It was all so confusing.

 

I called my friend to see if she could bring me to pick him up. She said she would after work. All afternoon I felt as nervous as a teenager waiting to go out on their first date.

 

The time finally came and I went down the stairs to wait. She was there within minutes much to my happiness. I could feel the angst of the day settling into my lower back. I went into the clinic and up to the desk. The lady remembered me and asked me to wait just a moment. She left her work area and returned with a small bag. We exchanged pleasantries and I thanked her for helping me in Barney's time of need.

 

When I got back into the car I looked at my friend. I said, "Well, let's see how he looks," in the bravest tone I could muster. Inside was an envelope and a little wooden box. The box is cherry finished with brass embellishment. And where it closes is the tiniest of locks with two little keys. I was happy his new home was far away and that this only housed his ashes. I handed the box to my friend so I could open the envelope.

 

Inside was a certificate verifying that these were indeed the cremains of Barney tucked inside a wonderful card. Also inside was another card. It was entitled Rainbow Bridge. I had read that just days ago, but my friend had never seen it so I asked her if I could read it to her. She said yes and about three words in I began crying and didn't stop until it was over and we had talked about Barney some more. By that time, we were both crying. This is what the card said. You can find its accompanying image at http://www.rainbowbridge.com/ .

 

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

It is comforting to know Barney is at peace. Life is loss after all. It's one loss after another. We lose jobs, homes, security of all kinds, people and, yes, our beloved animals too. It's how we handle all those losses that define who we are and what we're made of.

 

Will I miss him? Absolutely. Will I forget him? Absolutely not. It is said that it only takes a minute to like something or someone, an hour to love them, but a lifetime to forget them. You may be gone, Barney, but you will never be forgotten.

 

... to be continued...

0 comments: